I know after a semester in college we forget what its like. I can’t be the only one who missed this.
Self-care is something that everyone talks about but very few actually work everyday to achieve it. I know personally it is hard in my day to day to remember to check in. To ask myself one simple question: How are you feeling today?
What is self-care? Self-care is a general term that describes everything you do deliberately for your mental, physical, and emotional well-being. (The Importance of Self-Care – Perimeter Healthcare)
As a single mom of 4 biological kids and 2 adopted kids that simple question can sometimes be impossible to ask; let alone answer! I know as a single mom that I am not the only one who feels this way. I have friends and family that struggle with this simple notion as well. Sometimes I remind them to remember what about you? But even with all that being said I forget about me. We all as people worry about the ones we love, that being said if we don’t take a selfish moment we are no good to anyone else.
But than I decided to try to take the pressure off of the self-care notion. After reading this list of ideas on self-care:
Some tips for self-care include:
- Live Healthy, eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and avoid drugs and alcohol. Manage stress and go for regular medical check-ups.
- Practice good hygiene. Good hygiene is important for social, medical, and psychological reasons in that it not only reduces the risk of illness, but it also improves the way others view you and how you view yourself.
- See friends to build your sense of belonging. Consider joining a support group to make new friends.
- Try to do something you enjoy every day. That might mean dancing, watching a favorite TV show, working in the garden, painting or reading.
- Find ways to relax, like meditation, yoga, getting a massage, taking a bath or walking in the woods. (Taking Good Care of Yourself | Mental Health America (mhanational.org))
I decided to find one thing to do for myself a day. I stay off social media as much as possible. I always make sure that I feel my best when getting ready for the day. I have been working on finding hobbies that give me an out. Or honestly just soaking in a bath with my own thoughts.
Self-care does not have to be much it just has to be. You as a person have to remember that you are just as important as the one you are looking after.